“I believe that children are our future…”
Arizona is trying to kidnap the next generation of Latinos in the United States. Rather than simply legislating that brown people are bad, or that Latinos are only allowed to work as gardeners and nannies in the Grand Canyon State (because neither of those would be politically correct), these segregationists are giving President Obama and Latino-America the finger by attacking children, taking away their citizenship, native language, education, and ability to “Win the Future”.
Jan Brewer, the Republican governor of Arizona, coupled with State Senator Russell Pearce and a Republican-controlled state legislature, has already declared it legally acceptable for law enforcement to stop citizens who “look Latino illegal.” When pressed for a description, though, they were unable to provide one. What did happen after the passage of SB1070, though, is citizens of the United States with Latino heritage, Spanish surnames, or brown skin were stopped and harassed until that law was struck down by a federal court. Now, the racists and segregationists have shifted tactics and targets. The laws proposed violate the 14th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States because they:
- deny citizenship to children born in the United States to undocumented parents;
- create “non-citizen”- and “citizen”-stamped birth certificates;
- deny medical services/public education to “non-citizens” born in the United States;
- require school teachers, administrators, and hospital personnel to determine citizenship status/deny services; and
- forbid “non-citizens” from driving, and impose jail-time for those who do (and confiscate their legal property for Arizona’s benefit)
The new proposed legislation, then, is creating a segregated society by stealing the citizenship of native-born United States citizens. The coded language, calling their targets “illegal” and focusing on “immigration”, allows them to navigate the mainstream media with their racism only being called out by those they’re targeting. This battlecry of “illegals” and “taxpayer services” hides in plain sight the determination by Arizona Republicans to sweep the state clean of brown people.
Arizona is proceeding like Germany in the 1930s, scapegoating a single group through discriminatory legislation, incrementally stripping them of citizenship, due process and access to services, and forcing them to vacate by creating a climate of persecution, harassment and suspicion. Though these laws, like the previous attempt, will be found unconstitutional if they are passed, it is a wake-up call for Latinos and the United States that they are garnering enough support to be moved out of committee and voted on by a state legislature. In fact, these proposed laws and the copycat legislation in 15 other states should give all Americans pause.
Kidnapping is a crime to be punished, not a method of governing a state or the nation.
- Arizona Panel Passes Birthright Citizenship Law (foxnews.com)
- Arizona Lawmakers Push New Round of Immigration Restrictions
- Arizona Sets Stage For Another Legal Showdown Over Immigration
- Black Code, Arizona
- I See Ghosts
- Illegal immigration likely to be hot topic at USF form
- Sweeping AZ Immigration Bills Target Undocumented Children
- To Win the Future, America Must Win the Global Competition in Education